Thursday, May 31, 2018

lark harbour to port-aux-basques: the farewell tour

The weather was beautiful yesterday, and we got some tips from our airbnb host about good places to hike in the area. We started with a short drive to Bottle Cove, where we hiked up to a great view of Sunset Rocks, sheer cliffs that face directly towards the setting sun but were still impressive at midday. I asked B to pose in a pirate ship bow on the way back to the car, and she obliged.

Farther down the road, we found that the short trail to Copper Mine Falls had been washed downhill in a landslide, but we carefully (and safely, parents) made it to the end, and it was totally worth it - the falls were swollen from snowmelt and the rains from the day before. Blow Me Down Cape Trail left from the same spot and headed straight up a nearby mountain. We made it as far as a scenic lookout (pictured below) before turning back.

On our way down south, we ate at a lunch counter in one corner of a mall that was quiet except for some distant muzak, and we got dinner at the hotel restaurant surrounded by paunchy ferrymen talking in rumbling voices with unintelligible accents.

If you're reading this and all has gone according to plan, we're on the ferry back to the mainland!




B finally finds an informational panel with enough information to satisfy her

click me

1 comment:

  1. There are not enough superlatives. I have LOVED this trip! C/L as you know, your maternal grandfather had a deep appreciation of poetry and this, by Robert Frost,was one of his favourites. As were you.

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    Safe travels home you two! xox

    ReplyDelete